11.22.2008

Movin' on Up!

So I'm pretty sure my two blog readers know that we've moved because my husband found work. But I figured I'd officially announce it! Laci and Eric have moved to Sheridan, Wyoming! I guess for a while, I couldn't really admit it out loud, not that I was embarrassed about it or anything, it's just that it's just such a huge thing to me. I mean, I lived in the same house my entire childhood, then moved to college and lived in Abilene for 5 years. So this is my first time to live far from home. Which honestly it's not the issue of living far from home that bothers me, because I know my true home is not on this earth. It's just that, moving from Texas to northern Wyoming, is such a HUGE change! Haha! If you've read my blog at all, you know that Eric and I have been wanting to move for such a loong time. You'd also know that Eric has been looking for a job even a longer amount of time. When Eric was first applying for this job(it was a three month long process) we kinda just approached it like any other job application and figured that he should at least give it a shot. Then as the process continued and the interviews got more in depth, it hit us that this job would move us to WYOMING!!!!! Haha! i mean I'd been praying for Eric to get offered a job that would allow us to move, but seriously God, WYOMING!?! Haha! It's the least populated state in the US and Sheridan has about 16 thousand people. Well after months of waiting, and worrying and praying.. He said yes this time, and we moved two weeks after being offered the job. It happened so fast, but I guess this is where we are supposed to be for a while. I am very excited about the location, I've alwasy wanted to live near the mountains, and Sheridan is right at the feet of the Big Horn mountains and reasonably close to Yellowstone. This should be an incredible adventure for both of us, and I bet we learn how to participate in some really awesome new outdoors sports! I'm excited to see the first real snow, hopefully soon!

I tried to document the drive some with my little canon point and shoot camera. Here are some images from the passenger seat!


This is Eric just after we left Abilene!


I never saw a sign that read anything about leaving Abilene, so I figured the Dyess AFB sign will have to do. I mean Dyess is pretty much why Abilene is on the map.


I wanted to take some photos of the Texas landscape to compare them with the Wyoming landscape, plus the clouds were pretty that day.


We took my doggies to Lubbock to stay with my parents until we find a bigger place up here with a yard. The back seat was half filled with luggage and cargo, so they didn't have much room. Haha this is them cuddling in the seat.


Luna kept getting frustrated because Eisen was hoggin' the whole seat, so she was falling asleep sitting up and leaning on the back door. It was pretty amusing.


The drive between Abilene and Lubbock doesn't get much better than this. Cotton, sky and wind turbines! There are more and more turbines every time I make this trip.



This photo is the best shot I could get of a "lubbock" sign. It's hard to capture anything at 70 mph.


We stayed in Lubbock for a few days, then left reallly early in the moring to make the 11 hour drive to Cheyenne, WY. This is the sunrise between Lubbock and Amarillo.




I fell asleep for a bit and woke up when we were in New Mexico. There was a little bit of snow on the ground on Oct 18.


This is just before we got to Colorado and the first glimpse of the mountains!


This is Colorado Springs in autumn.



So we stayed the night in Cheyenne, WY and then drove the next day to Sheridan. These next images are all in Wyoming.


I'm assuming this is all green in the summer. And honestly these images don't come close to capturing what it really looks like. The terrain looks straight out of a western movie about the folks on the Oregon Trail. It's really hilly and rocky in areas and goes on FOREVER. There aren't any trees except in the mountain areas, and from the looks of it, there's more livestock in Wyoming than people.
But it does hold it's own kind of beauty.




The above image is the road entering Buffalo, WY. It's a town about 30 minutes south of Sheridan, and a third of it's size. It's closer to the mountains and verrry hilly and pretty. We thought about living here, but haven't found a house there yet.


This is our little cube of a home right now. It's tiny tiny, but very cute and we are glad to have a roof and a place to lay our heads. We're still looking for something with a bit more room and a yard for our dogs. I miss them so so much, but hopefully we can bring them here soon. I know they'll love it.

More pictures of the mountains of Sheridan coming soon..

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

OH yay! i am glad you posted some pics and stuff@ i was curious as to what WY really looked like... WE miss you!

Becka said...

Laci,

it's great to hear about your move. I hope you find a house with a yard soon, so you can actually start to settle in and "make a home." I really enjoyed those pictures. It was nice to see something other than dessert. Thank you.

Becca

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Yea! I love the trip in pictures.

I laughed when you described the dogs sharing the backseat. It sounds a lot like our kids!

The sunrises between Lubbock and Amarillo are the best.

Wyoming looks a lot like NM I think...pretty barren and desert and then all of a sudden you see a beautiful mountain range.

Ashley said...

What an exciting adventure!!! We had fun while we lived in Utah... but it took some time to adjust to all the changes. Good luck finding a bigger place!!

Kali Dawn said...

Oh my...so far but SO PRETTY!! I miss ya and i hope you are both doing ok up there. Keep me posted on how you're doin.